There was a great need and desire for a mosque in Northern Europe. Feeling the need for a congregation in this area for the Muslims, Dr. Gottleib started the project in 1889. This is the first mosque in the area. It is very near the railway station and the center of the city.
Begum Shah Jahan, the then ruler of Bhopal, India contributed financially a sizable amount which helped the completion of the mosque. The design of the mosque was drawn by the famous architect of its time Mr. Chambers. The mosque was built with Bath and Bargate stones and the mosque is looked after and maintained as a Waqf.
The mosque was occupied by the Ahmediyya sect, but since 1935 it is in the control Sunni Muslims.
The mosques have a dome in the shape of onion with front of the dome ornamented in Blue and Gold. The mosque was not available for the public from 1899 to 1912, when it was reopened for Muslims to offer prayers. Many distinguished people visited the mosque; prominent among them were Lord Headley and Marmaduke Pithall, who also provided English translation of the Holy Quran, who became Muslim.
King Hussain of Jordan contributed in the building of the Mausoleum Mosque specially to preserve the letter written by the Holy Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) to the Emperor of Byzantium.