This mosque is based in Peshawar, the capital of the province Khyber Pakhtoonkhaw. It is given this name because this was built during the rule of Shah Jahan. During that time the Governor of Peshawar was Mohabbat Khan. Mohabbat Khan’s grandfather was the Governor of Lahore. This mosque was built by the governor of Peshawar, Mr. Mohabbat Khan.
The mosque was constructed in 1630 with a pool in the center of the courtyard for peoples’ ablution. There are rooms on all the four sides of the courtyard. The main prayer hall is located on the west side of the complex with two minarets. The interior of the prayer hall is generously ornamented and beautifully painted with flowers and statistical drawings.