It is situated in the city of Ahmadabad, which was once the capital of Indian province of Gujarat. It was built in 1424 during the rule of Ahmed Shah. Mahatma Gandhi Road. It is believed to be one of the most beautiful mosques ever built in India. The location of the mosque is in the old city of Ahmadabad on Mahatma Gandhi Road. To be precise, it is in the eastern part of Ahmadabad close to a place known as teen Darwaza. The structure of the mosque is marvelous
The mosque has been constructed with the most solid material which is evident from the fact that the mosque has stood steadfast during many climatic upheavals. The mosque complex also has many tombs of the rulers who died during the 15th century.
On the eastern side of the mosque is the last resting place of the three Mughal emperors Sultan Ahmad Shah and the three, Ahmad Shah 1, Mohammad Shah and the Qutub-ud=din Ahmad Shah. The construction of this shrine is very attractive for the visitors to Ahmadabad that they are usually determined to visit this shrine.
The courtyard of the mosque is made of white marble which very wide and the whole mosque was completed in 1424 Hijri. It contains a tank in the centre of the courtyard for abolition for those who come here to offer prayers in the mosque. The two minarets at the main gate of the mosque collapsed due to earthquake in 1819, but the base of these minarets still stand intact.
The plan of the mosque is exclusive and this mosque was considered to be the largest mosque of the times when it was erected. The entrance to the mosque has been made possible from three diverse locations.
The building material used in its construction is yellow in color. The mosque has a quadrilateral shaped courtyard and its measurement is 75 meters in length and 66 meters in width. There is a prayer hall on one side of the mosque.
The domes of the mosque are of different designs, one with a droopy buzzer shape while the other is of white lily flora,. The courtyard is built of white marble which gives an excellent look and can accommodate thousands of worshippers at one time.
The passages are beautifully decorated with Arabic Calligraphy. The earthquake that struck the Ahmedabad town in 1819 destroyed the two upper tips while the base of the tips remained undamaged,.
The rooftop of the prayer hall is supported by 260 columns and the mosque contains a total number of 15 domes. The wall in the prayer hall that faces the QIBLA has been tastefully adorned. The pillars inside the mosque have been beautifully incised when the mosque was constructed in 1424. The mosque was initially not available for the public but could only be used by the members of the royal family. The two remaining pillars (not destroyed by earthquake that hit the city in 1957) have been adorned with engraved stones.