The Big Khan mosque was ordered to be constructed by Sahib Girey. This order was given by him in the 16th century in the year 1532. It is one of the largest mosques in the city of Crimea built inside the Khan Palace and was designated Big Khan Mosque in the 17th Century. It is positioned in Bakhchisaray Palace, Crimea, which was then a part of Old Russia.
The prayer hall is designed in such a manner that it looks like narrow passage in the form of a square and the roof of the mosque is designed in such a manner that it slopes down from the centre on all the four walls of the mosque. This type of roof is usually visible in certain houses in Pakistan and is mostly in red color.
This mosque also has a portico from where the 2 minarets rise to the height of twenty eight meters from the ground. The shape of the Minarets is beautifully designed which has eight sides. The mosque has an ablution place which is equal in size from all the four sides and is located in the northeastern extreme of the mosque. The entrance door to the mosque is on the northern side of the mosque. The school for Islamic studies was established by Arslan Giray which is attached to the eastern wall of the mosque. The mosque had three passages which were close to three walls.
People of High standing in the field of Islamic knowledge say that initially the mosque was designed for building domes of various dimensions, but there is no indication of the reason why this could not take place. . The mosque was badly spoiled by fire in 1936 which could only be re-established in its original shape during the rule of Khan Selameta Girey
The minarets of the mosque are decorated with imitation stones fixed with lead. There are no stones or knick-knacks inside the mosque except pieces of various colored glasses in the windows which stand above the curved entrance without the door. Which is usually named “Mehrab”.