This is the largest mosque in England. It was constructed at a cost of Pound sterling 2.5 million. It is based in Peterborough on Gladstone Street. The mosque has been built to accommodate three thousand people at one time. The Muslims lived in the area where this mosque was brought up since late 50s and they offered prayers at the detached houses in different congregations.
The construction of the mosque has made entirely through donations by the local Muslim Society persons. This is one of the big five mosques in Peterborough. This mosque is situated in the residential area of Peterborough so that people can get to the mosque easily and at little distance without any hassles to offer their prayers. The prayer hall is very large and the people who visit the mosque are astonished to see that the prayer hall was extremely spacious and that beautiful chandelier was hanging in the center of the hall.
People are very impressed by the decoration of the walls which are covered with the verses from the Holy Quran. The management has made special arrangements of the guides to explain the features of the mosque to those who visit. The Mehrab is also beautifully decorated with the verses from the Holy book Quran. The mosque has been provided with seven clocks at different places.
The people who visit the mosque are very much impressed when they see the washing area by its tidiness and its layout. This area is mainly used for ablution before the people start offering prayers.
The most astonishing thing is that there is no call given for prayers on the loudspeakers, but the call is directly given to the houses through radio link, so that the neighboring community may not be disturbed by the loudness of the call.
There are separate areas earmarked both for ladies and gents, as there is no concept of mixed gathering in ISLAM. The dome of the mosque is 30 meters in diameter from the outside and the color of this Dome is green. This is considered to be the biggest Dome in England.
After a very long time the people of Peterborough got an opportunity to offer prayers in the purpose built mosque.
Sarajevo is the capital city of Bosnia and the largest town of the country. The total population of Sarajevo is around 370,000 residents. The towns surrounding Sarajevo has a total residents of around 610,000 persons. It is fenced with the Alps known as Dinaric and it runs along the river which known by the name Miljacka in the center of Southeastern Europe and the Balkans.
Sarajevo is the main place in Bosnia which is well known for cultural, political, science, arts of Bosnia Herzegovina and it has impact in the region of its education, media, fashion, music etc. This is the reason why Bosnia Herzegovina is taken to be the largest center of development and plays an important role in the region. This city is famous for assortment of different religions which happens to be present for centuries. Because of the rich cultural and religion presence in Sarajevo, it is also sometimes termed as the “Jerusalem of the Balkans”
King Fahd mosque is the biggest mosque as far as the capacity is concerned. It can accommodate around 1,500 worshippers in the main hall and at the time of important occasions its capacity is increased by another 850 people who can offer prayers in the yard which is built within the premises.
The mosque has been funded by the Saudi Arabian government in Sarajevo which is the largest mosque in the Balkans and it is important that it attracts people because it has been constructed after five years of the agreement.
The mosque has one Dome which is 20 meters high and its outer diameter is 18 meters. It also has one Minaret which stands at an height of 48 meters. This mosque has all the facilities that a mosque is required to have.
This mosque has been given to Sarajevo, Bosnia as gesture of goodwill and brotherhood from the people and the government of Indonesia. The name of this mosque has been taken from the mosque in Jakarta, Indonesia which signifies the close bonds of friendship and good brotherly relations between the two countries. This mosque has been constructed in the city of OTOKA, a city of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Istiqlal in Arabic means Independence. This could also be taken as gift of Indonesian people and Government on the Occasion of the independence of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Some people call it by the name “Suharto Mosque” while others also call it “Indonesia Mosque”. This mosque was gifted to Bosnia during the rule of Suharto Regime.
Apart from the regular daily five times prayers, Fridays and Id congregations, the mosque also play an important role in giving Quran lessons not only for children but also arranging classes for adults. It also arranges social gatherings such as “NIKAH” ceremonies of Muslims, but also as cultural center, where people could gather to discuss Islamic matters as well as their personal problems with their friends and well- wishers.
The Indonesian President Suharto paid an official visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina in March 1995 and showed keen interest in building a big mosque in the city of OTOKA, as gesture of goodwill, brotherhood and well- being for the people Bosnia. The President of Bosnia was pleased to accept the offer. The Indonesian President immediately appointed a well- known Indonesian designer Fauzan Noe’man to prepare him to start work on this plan. The appointed person had vast experience of planning, designing and constructing the mosques because he had done this job for many mosques. In 1998 the government of Suharto was ousted from power, which act had sabotaged the process for a little while. But soon this project was restarted and completed in 2001.
The mosque is the beautiful example of the modern style of planned construction, which consisted of stainless-steel works, glasses, and windows in the forefront of the mosque and beautiful arches. The outer portion of the mosque was built with white tiles while the mosque from inside was ornamented with wooden carvings of the Indonesian style carvings especially the windows’ frames, Mihrab, Minbar,
The area of the mosque is 2800 square meters and is considered to the largest mosque in Sarajevo and people could distinguish it from other structures in the area. The dome of the mosque has been built in copper color. The size of the dome is 27 meters high and similarly 27 meters in Diameter. The dome has three large size openings to allow enough light to enter the mosque, so that artificial lights are not required during the daytime. Two minarets are built on both sides of the entrance. The top of the Minarets and the dome are decorated with three sphere-shaped high-points with interstellar and hemispherical on their highest point.
This mosque is known to be one of the best pieces of design and construction made during the Ottoman regime in the city of Sarajevo, the city well known throughout the world, especially after the 1990s when the Serbian forces launched an offensive against Bosnia Herzegovina. This mosque is taken to be the prime place for the Muslims in the city of Sarajevo, because it is considered to be the place where most Muslims meet each other many times in the year.
This mosque was designed and constructed under the supervision of the famous Architect in the days of Ottoman rule famously known as Acem Esir Ali Alauddin. The other fantastic work was the construction of the mosque in Istanbul. Gazi Husrev-beg were popularly known to have financed many structures in 1591 in Bosnia and in this context, this mosque, under discussion have also been funded by Gazi Husrev-beg.
The beautiful mosque has been fantastically decorated at the Dome and the Mehrab, where the IMAM, who leads the prayers stand. The mosque contains 51 windows which enlightens the mosque with ample daylight. This sunlight inside the prayer hall and other areas of the mosque throws the impression of the hall being much bigger than it really is. The most fascinating moment in the history of the mosque is that Gazi Husrev-beg is remembered and prayed for his place in JANNA.
The famous saying of Gazi Husrev-beg is quoted in his own Words “Good deeds drive away evil, and one of the most worthy of good deeds is the act of charity, and the most worthy act of charity is one which lasts forever. Of all charitable deeds, the most beautiful is one that continually renews itself “.
Most notable thing about the mosque is that this mosque was the first mosque around the Globe to receive electricity during the Austro-Hungarian rule.
During the Bosnian Serbia war, the forces of the enemy specially targeted many structures such as cultural places, libraries and mosques. It is believed that the BEG Mosque was the specific target of the anti-Muslim forces.
The mosque which was badly damaged during the war was refurbished, although not in the same manner, but still stands with the help of foreign funding. The mosque was completely renovated in 2000 and this was done by Hazim Numanagić, a calligrapher in Bosnia. The mosque has a single dome and a single minaret. The Dome’s height is 26 meters and the outer diameter is 13 meters, whereas Minaret’s height is 47 meters.
Ferhadija mosque which is famous with other names is a famous architectural structure in the Bosnian City of Sarajevo which was constructed by the then governor of SANJAK-BEY named Ferhad-Beg Vukovic. This mosque carries one big dome on the top of the main prayer hall with three trivial domes over the arches. This is considered to be the extreme accomplishment of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the 16th century by the then rulers of those times as far as the design and finish of the mosque is concerned. The mosque was designed and was completed in 1561.
The mosque was surrounded by the School, public kitchen, Drinking fountain and fountains.
This mosque reproduces the beauty of the period when domes and minarets were built in the structures of the mosques constructed by the Ottoman Dynasty. All the domes were plated, in 1917 with steel in case anyone tried to harm them may fail to do so. The mosque was completely damaged during the Serbian attack on Bosnia The research carried out on the inner decoration of the mosque revealed that the painted walls inside showed that the walls were painted in different styles and design since the mosque was built. The research carried out in 1964-65 disclosed that the very first time the mosque’s inner walls painted in the 16th century related to the Rumi Ornament which resembled to the same pattern in the other mosques.
The second layer revealed that the walls were decorated with floral colors while the walls painted third and fourth time disclosed that they were painted in the 18th century and the in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Islam was first made known to the people of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the 15th and 16th centuries when the Ottoman rulers had conquest the land of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The people of Bosnia are Muslims since very long time and they follow the Hanafi School of thought. But recently there could be seen people living in Bosnia who are Shias. The number of Muslims in Bosnia is around three million which includes those Bosnian people who had fled from Bosnia during the 1990 war. The leftover Muslims in Bosnia Herzegovina is 1.55 million which account for 40% of the total population of the country. The Bosnian Muslims are the single largest religious group in the country.
Islam spread in Balkans when the Ottoman rule came in the early to late 15th century. During this period the Ottoman rulers increased their hold in the country, which paved the way for them to introduce Islamic laws and impose Islam in the country. The Slavic tribes started becoming Muslims in great number when they saw that People of their areas are converting themselves as Muslims.
The Emperor’s mosque is the first and the largest mosque in Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina after the Ottoman rulers got control of Bosnia Herzegovina. This happened in 1457. This mosque has been built in the traditional design that prevailed during the Ottoman rule.
The architect of this mosque was Isaković-Hranušić who had devoted the mosque to the conqueror of the Ottoman Empire. This is one of the most beautiful mosques which were constructed in the Balkans during the Ottoman rule. The internal halls and the other parts of the mosque are very airy and the halls are full of sunlight during the daytime, with best quality of ornamental material. The best example of this beauty is the Mihrab.
The mosque was initially built in the 15th century but was totally damaged at the end of the century. The same mosque was reconstructed in the late 16th century which was 1565. The mosque built in the 15th century was of wood and much smaller than the one built in the year 1565. Extensions to the mosque continue Side rooms were added in 1800 and in 1848 these rooms were linked to the main prayer hall.
The mosque was damaged in World War II and again in the war in1990s.Repair work to these damages could not be carried out until to date and is still awaiting repairs.
This mosque was constructed in the memory of Sofu Hadim Ali Pasha, who was the then governor Bosnia Eyalet of the Ottoman Empire, who died in 1560. This mosque was conceived and was built in 1560-61.
This mosque is considered to be the most beautiful mosque not only in Sarajevo but in the whole of Bosnia. This mosque is considered to be the example, because many non-Muslims became Muslims. Unfortunately more than 50% are Muslims in Bosnia but regrettably less than half of them practice Islam. This mosque is simple but most beautifully planned and constructed
At present this mosque is at the point where there is great noise and pollution and a lot of disturbance to the people who come there to offer their prayers. It is now located at the most busiest entry point to the city where many noisy vehicles pass by every minute. It is not simply satisfying to see the mosque from outside and appreciate its beauty, but one must bother to go inside the compound and appreciate its beauty especially of the stones that are old and still look fantastically eye catching.
The prayer hall of the mosque has a dome on its top in the Turkish fashion usually seen in the mosque built during those days in Istanbul. It has three minor domes which cover the monastery. This has been built in proportion to the domes usually built in the mosques that have been constructed in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Within the compound of the mosque there is a place for two tombs which carry the dead bodies of Avdo Sumbul and Behdzet Mutevelic who both breathe last in 1915. The mosque under caption was badly ruined during the Serbian onslaught in the 1990s battle in Bosnia especially the domes were badly hit by the Serbian forces. The Ali Pasha was refurbished in 2004 and 2005 when the government declared to preserve the national memorials including the Ali Pasha mosque as a national heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina.